First, let me say that you know you live in Wisconsin when Saturday is sunny and 70, Sunday is rainy and 50, and Monday is 30s and snowing.... At least it's supposed to be 70s by the weekend again.

My sisters best friend had a baby in January (we'll call her S), so my Sunday starts by going to a baptism. I had been to this church for S's wedding, and it's leaps and bounds different from my normal church. As I've said in a previous post I am from a religious family, we go to a Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran (WELS) church which has some strict views on things like homosexuality.

Anyway, this church is kinda new age catholic if that makes sense. They have pictures of the saints around the church, the little candle lighting thing for prayers, and the reliquary for placing the communion bread. But they also have a "band" that plays for services and people woot and "AMEN" during songs, so its a bit Southern Baptist as well.

We get to the blessing of peace(?) where you go around and shake hands and greet everyone, and the woman in front of me goes to shake my hand. I foolishly assume that like most WELS church people they actually know how to shake hands... I swear I almost broke her hand, and I didn't even grip her. This hand shakeing thing takes FOREVER, it goes on for like 15 minutes and generally its just really uncomfortable for my family.

The church service ends and we go to S's house for lunch with their family, we stay there for a while and we have to get my sister back to Chicago so we start a lovely 3 1/2 hour drive down. It's pouring rain the entire way down and its plain miserable. We get down there have dinner at Ginger's, a nice little Irish soccer bar not far from my sister's place. In all we spent an hour maybe two there before we had to get back in the car and head home.

HOORAY for 7 hours in a car! My ass was asleep by the time we got home from sitting for that long...

4 comments:

ooh - so your ass was asleep? :P can i volunteer to wake it up? ;)

okay, okay, i'm sorry, i promised i wouldn't do purvy talk, and i gave in again. my bad. (it is fun though. hehe)

all the best Drew - that journey sounds like a right bundle of laughs... not!

torchyyy!

That church sounds like something straight out of the 1970's; and if the sign of peace lasts longer than 30 seconds, it is getting undue emphasis. Not only is it leaps and bounds from your normal church, it's leaps and bounds from mine. We have maybe a trumpet, violin, and flute to augment the organ on special occasions, but people don't exclaim amen or woot during the hymns or any other time.

And that's deffo a long time in a car. I guess I did similar things when I was going to grad school in North Carolina and did the Boston-Washington leg in one day, and more recently when I drove to PEI with an overnight in Fredericton, NB, and last year to Québec City. By the end of the day I feel pretty frazzled.

I'm sorry, but UK boy here and an awful non-church goer. I'm desperately trying to make sense of what it is U all do and who U do it differently.

A few decades ago here I could have been just as esoteric in a discussion of different gay groups around the country and whether they had a social ethos or a campaigning one.

The best were a mixture of both of course. I'm sure you might find the same is true of religious interpretation. Middle of the road is generally best - less shock when things start to change then. And change they will.

ya two days of rain.... yea...

Powered By Blogger

Followers

Ping Me!

My Blog List