So the other day I was watching the F Word on BBC America and I just have one question.

What the hell is a quid? Is it the same as a pound or is it less than one?

Oh, wait I have a second question.

What the hell is "stone?" I understand it's a method of weighing something but when Gordon says he weighed "12 stone" I don't know how much that actually is.

In other news...

Only 4 more weeks until I go to Montreal to see the 25th anniversary of Cirque du Soleil!!!!!!! Then we come down through Niagara Falls in all 4 days in Canada.

Then the following Monday I start my summer job... Its my third summer and I hate it there, but it pays decently and it's actually hiring. Another summer setting up tents, makes for a great tan and some decent muscle tone, but its hot as hell and the hours suck.
See that big ass white thing in the back. I set that shit up, not by myself obviously but half the times it seems like I'm the only one who's actually working.

This photo was taken at Country USA, the largest country music festival in the states, and our biggest 2 weeks of work all year. The worst part about setting up for this was that for 12 hours they played "Hotel California" for the sound check and then to mix it up a little they played "Sail Away" by Enya... I wanted to die.

The best part is that last year my boss gave everyone a 3 day pass for it and those 3 days off. Unfortunately, I couldn't go due to family plans... I missed 3 days of some incredibly hot men walking around without shirts on, and I thankfully missed 3 days of drunk girls flashing and the 40+somethings that think its O.K. for them to walk around in bikini tops (I vomited a little the first time I saw them).

This year it will take a team of wild horses dragging me to keep me away from all that. I'll put ear plugs in to block out the innane howling that is country music and keep my camera at the ready. I'm also going to find the biggest belt buckle in the place and buy it just for shits and giggles.

Drew

10 comments:

lol. quid = £1 stone = 14 lbs. looks like a cracking few weeks for you. cheers.

sounds like a load of fun, Drew. and i bet that Cirque du Soleil show will be awesome too.

toned muscles and tan eh? hmmm. can i feel a tingle? lol

but, to answer your questions... a quid is 1 pound sterling, also written £1, or 1 GBP (Great Britain Pound) = approx $1.47 today.

10 quid = 'a tenner' = $14.70. you get the idea.

a stone in weight = 14 pounds. so if Gordo was 12 stone, he was 12x14 = 168 pounds.

have a good day Drew, you're a good sport!
torchy!

omg yes you have to buy the biggest belt buckle you can, that'd be so awesome, i demand pics!!!

squid?
:P

a quid is the same as one pound, it's just slang, like "buck" is for "dollar"

a stone is equal to 14 pounds i think...


I hope you have a great time here in Canada :D Montreal is a BEUTIFUL place in the summer!

LoL - definitions of quid and stone above, but having lived there you will need to learn a lot more lingo if you want to navigate daily life there..... don't worry, a fag is something totally innocent

drew

any job in this economy is a good one to have. sounds like a nice trip and montreal is a wonderful place especially for a bruins fan right now

take care andbe safe

bob

I jsut wanna eat right up that faggot!

It's a meatball, actually!

Then again, elevator/lift, sidewalk/pavement,Republican Party /Conservative Party
Docratitic Party / Conservative Party

Get it? You will be posting us from this camp full of fit young things, won't yer?

Drew, while we are on to obscure British units of measure, how about the Guinea? It is £1.05, or 21 shillings in old money. Though no longer an official accounting unit, it is still used by some art and horse dealers. I always invoice in Guineas, just to be awkward - and gouge another 5% out of my clients! So bad - it's business, who cares?!
G =]

Oh yes - the english also have 20 fluid ounces in a pint, not 16 like in US - so you will be drinking 20% more beer without realising it. And a gallon is therefore bigger ...
Shoes sizes are similar, but not quite the same ... but the thing about guys with big feet is as true on either side of the pond! Have a good time.
G =]

Powered By Blogger

Followers

Ping Me!

My Blog List