I may not have to get braces again!!!!!

I went to the oral maxillofacial surgeon yesterday to talk about the splint my dentist recommended, this splint would essentially rip my jaw forward in an attempt to catch the cartilage cup/disc/thing that sits in between your jaw and skull. Now to get the disc back where its supposed to be would require the slow process of working it back with braces. This would supposedly stop my jaw from cracking forever.

However, the oral surgeon recommended that I get a different kind of splint, its essentially a mouth guard that I would wear at night to keep me from clenching or grinding my teeth. Now, it won't stop my jaw from cracking but it will reduce the frequency and the possibility that my jaw will lock open or closed.

If I get my way I'm going with the second option cuz I really don't want braces again.

Yay for no metal mouth!

Hugs

Drew

5 comments:

Seriously, which 21yrs. old still wears braces? Propz Pilgrim

Seriously,

People with bad teeth, or people who have teeth pulled, or my aunt and uncle who have had braces 4 times each because their teeth kept shifting back.

That's who.

That's great! I hope it works for you.

:)

This comment has been removed by the author.

Oh, I should totally know the anatomy of that part of the body because I'm being tested on it tomorrow and Wednesday. >.>

So the oral surgeon wants to pull your mandible forward so that the condylar process (the larger rounded back of the mandible that interfaces with the skull) sits properly?

Is it a problem of the ligaments there? Because if the ligaments are all weird (and there are several there), then just "forcing" your mandible forward might not do too much . . .

Then again, I'm not an oral surgeon nor will I ever be. The less cutting the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Powered By Blogger

Followers

Ping Me!

My Blog List